Could i have your opinion please?
You can do all the research you like but nothing beats hearing real world experiences
This season i agreed to create (and maintain!) a web site for the football team i play for.
So far the reception has been pretty good but lots of people are used to sites like myspace, facebook, flickr, etc and want to be able to login and contribute themselves. I’ve been toying with some ideas and i thought i’d do something in ASP.NET but at the moment the site is hosted from the free webspace i got with my broadband
I posted ages ago about my dabblings with Visual Web Developer Express but it’s something i’m still pretty new to but i find the best way to learn is by getting stuck in
So basically i’m looking for a web host to look after the site. As time goes by i may need to host other sites (depending on how much succcess i have!) but not a big deal at the moment
My criteria is pretty simple
- ASP.NET 2.0 support (well duh?!)
- Price – I’m doing this out of the goodness of my heart and is still just a hobby so don’t want it to cost me too much. I’m not asking for free but it can’t break the bank as i wont be getting any money back from it
- Support – since i’m still pretty new to ASP.NET i’d like a reasonable level of support. I’m not asking for hand holding but if i ask a question to do with my hosting package i’d like an answer i can trust. There is nothing worse when your having a problem, you ask for help and that help turns out to make things worse!
- Reliable – obviously since i’m asking for cheap i’m not expecting 99.999% uptime but i’d like the site to be accessible when my team mates try and access it
- Database support – as long as it works it doesn’t matter what type of database!
After that i’m pretty flexible on storage space, traffic limits, et al (it doesn’t even have to be UK based)
The reason i’m asking is that from a business perspective we use 1and1 to provide our customers with some webspace and look after their domain names. Nothing complicated, so on that front we don’t have any problems.
Since i’m already familiar with their control panel, accounts, billing, etc i thought i’d look at them first and fired off a few questions about ASP.NET support and setup (since the help files on the subject aren’t great) and the answers i got back for what i considered pretty simple questions didn’t fill me with confidence. After having a look around for other support experiences i started to look elsewhere but everyone offers the earth and i’d like to just pick a host and get on with it
I’ve got one or two names in mind already but just wanted to see if there were any other suggestions