I posted a couple of days ago about a new client who is using McAfee. I went back on Tuesday just to finish off and came across a bit of a weird problem
This particular PC didn’t have any anti-virus loads so i installed VirusScan 8
I configured it to point to a share to check for definition updates and fired it up and got this
Starting VirusScan task: AutoUpdate
Starting update session.
Unable to find a valid repository.
Closing the update session.
My initial thought was that i’d enter the UNC details wrong so i checked that and it was fine. I then realised that if i’d entered the UNC wrong it would have fallen back to the HTTP or FTP repository….something else was going on here!
So first i checked the updater log
3/25/2008 9:24:57 AM Starting VirusScan task: AutoUpdate
3/25/2008 9:24:59 AM Starting update session.
3/25/2008 9:25:00 AM Unable to find a valid repository.
3/25/2008 9:25:00 AM Closing the update session.
Onto the event log
VirusScan Enterprise: The update failed; see event log.(from PCName IP 192.168.x.x user X running VirusScan Ent. 8.0.0 UPD)
Even less helpful!
I look all around the program files directory to see if there were any extra log files and i couldn’t find anything
I did some searching and came across this article
It talks about troubleshooting the auto-update. What helped was this
A verbose log file is available to assist troubleshooting. The default location is:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework\Db
The file is agent_<machine_name>.log, where <machine_name> is the hostname of the machine where the update is being initiated.
This log was much more helpful
20080325095031 I #1676 Updater OnDemand update started.
20080325095036 I #808 FrmSvc User SID is S-1-5-18 and SessionID is 0
20080325095037 I #3980 Script Searching for first available site.
20080325095039 I #3980 InetMgr Sitelist validation failed because it is missing SPIPE site information.
20080325095039 I #3980 InetMgr Retaining the existing sitemaplist.
20080325095039 i #3980 Script Unable to find a valid repository.
20080325095039 i #808 Script Closing the update session.
The updater was having a problem reading the settings I’d put in so was defaulting to the sitelist it previously had. Since this was clean installation that meant it had nowhere to go!
I also found this
It’s a forum post where someone suggests manually creating a sitelist.xml file. The scenario was slightly different as they were talking about ePos but the theory must be the same
So I copied the sitelist.xml file from another PC onto this PC in this folder
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Network Associates\Common Framework
This sorted the problem!
Not sure why the sitelist.xml file didn’t get created in the first place
I’ve talked plenty of times on here about how fed up with McAfee i am. I had a meeting with Trend a couple of weeks ago and I’m about to evaluate their stuff. The “worry-free” management console looks pretty cool