Busy, busy busy on the first week back!
Got a call today from someone who was having problems opening Internet Explorer
Each time he’d get an application fault
My first thought down to previous experience was that it was an add-on trying to load I so ran IE in “no add-ons” mode. IE opened fine so I spent a little while disabling lots off add-ins with little success so I went back to the beginning and looked in the event log for the actual error (should have just done this first!)
Faulting application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16762, faulting module entapi.dll, version 126.96.36.199, fault address 0x0000368a.
I found the entapi.dll file in the windows\system32 folder and the file properties suggested it was a McAfee component
A quick search turned up lots of people with similar problems who “resolved” the issue by simply renaming the file
I renamed the file and as reported this stopped Internet Explorer crashing
Not a complete fix in my book though as this means all I’d done was stop a component of the anti-virus software from loading!
Since it was a McAfee component I went to their knowledge base and did I search on entapi.dll hoping to find out a little more about what it does and the very first entry was this
entapi.dll is part of the buffer overflow module? Glad I wanted to dig a bit deeper 🙂
The article says that it’s a know issue with version 188.8.131.52 and updating to one of the following will fix it;
VirusScan Enterprise 8.0i cumulative Patch 14. or upgrade to VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i/8.7
This particular PC had 8.0i on so I loaded the latest patch (which was 16) and this fixed the problem
I checked the properties of the old and new entapi.dll files and we’d jumped from version 184.108.40.206 to 220.127.116.115
Latest posts by Andy Parkes (see all)
- Amazon Fulfilment Centre Tour - April 16, 2019
- The System Administrator Has Set Policies To Prevent This Installation - March 15, 2019
- Task Manager Closes Straight After Opening - February 27, 2019