Got a phone call this morning from someone who was having problems logging into one of their supplier parts catalogues.
They would enter their logon and details and would just get a blank page
I added the site to the trusted zone and compared the IE settings with a PC that could logon ok (also proving it wasn’t the firewall blocking content or the website itself)
Convinced it was IE to blame i downloaded Firefox Portable and the page displayed correctly
After that we tried upgrading to IE8 (thinking maybe IE was damaged) but still no luck
I then back to the beginning and did a “view source” on the blank page
The “fix it” automatically checks and re-registers the script components
After I restarted IE the parts catalogue opened as expected as did the flashy bits on my blog 🙂