The Internet of Things (IoT from herein!) is one of things in the technology world that has been on the verge of exploding over the last few years.
Finding a definition for the IoT isn’t all that easy to pin down, in the same way that “The Cloud” has a ton of different ways of being described but in short it’s used to describe the process of connecting everyday “things” to the Internet.
Why would you want to do that?
What if you’re fridge could tell you were low on milk and automatically order you some more?
What if your alarm clock could check local traffic reports and wake you up a little early if it thought you were going to be late for an important meeting?
What if you’re house could tell you were on the way back from work and could turn the oven and start cooking your evening meal?
These are just one or two examples (more here) and the technology for these sort of applications already exists, today!
So to that end the International Institute for Product and Service Innovation (IIPSI) are looking to kick-start some growth in the Midlands region around this topic and are hosting the first coming together of companies in the area who can collaborate and explore opportunities.
This event will be an informal ‘Show and Tell’ event, featuring short talks from those innovating within the ‘Internet of Things’.
Speakers in place already confirmed:
- Maurizio Pilu, Lead Technologist (Digital) & Programme lead for the Internet of Things at the Technology Strategy Board. “What is the Internet of Things?”
- Alyson Fielding, MD of Pyuda Ltd. Gesture controlled, connected Books.
- Ben Wood, Technology Transfer Specialist at WMG. 3D printing and low volume manufacturing.
- John Shermer, MD of JSJS Designs Ltd. Using occupancy data for the greater good.
- Miles Hodkinson, CTO of Cicesco plc. Wireless comms options for your IoT products.
So if this sounds like it’ll be your cup of tea then register on the Meetup page.
The event is at the University of Warwick on Tuesday, April 30, 2013 at 7:00 PM
See you there!