You may or may not of heard about the massive mistake McAfee made last week. On Wednesday 25th April they released a virus definition file (5958 – April 21st) that incorrectly identified svchost.exe as a threat and deleted it on systems running Windows XP SP3. Svchost is used for launching services (full description here) and
I just wanted to relay a support call I’ve just dealt with as it really had me stumped. For a while I was concerned there was something really bad happening but now that I’ve gotten to the bottom of it I can breathe easy as it wasn’t actually all that serious Our client called to
Following on from my last post i mentioned that getting an email out of quarantine wasn’t fun Basically the procedure should go like this End user receives a message telling them an email to be delivered to them has been quarantined End user contacts administrator with ticket ID from quarantine notice Administrator locates email and
Just a quick one as a reminder in case i come across this again! If you are using McAfee Groupshield 7 and are noticing users are receiving the following on emails that are seemingly ok CORRUPT CONTENT ALERT The content this replaces was found to be corrupt. Cause of corruption: Invalid character set or encoding.
Busy, busy busy on the first week back! Got a call today from someone who was having problems opening Internet Explorer Each time he’d get an application fault My first thought down to previous experience was that it was an add-on trying to load I so ran IE in “no add-ons” mode. IE opened fine
I posted a couple of days ago about a new client who is using McAfee. I went back on Tuesday just to finish off and came across a bit of a weird problem This particular PC didn’t have any anti-virus loads so i installed VirusScan 8 I configured it to point to a share to